As this year draws to a close, interior designers look ahead, unveiling the hottest color for 2015—Marsala—a hue that evokes images of red wine and Indian spice. Versatile, warm and rich, this color can enhance your home—whether it’s carpeting a spare bedroom, accenting your living area or acc
essorizing your bedroom.
Here’s our Top 5 list about why Marsala is a trendsetting color for 2015, and how to add it to your home’s color pallette.
- It feeds the body, mind and spirit. In a world of 24/7 communication, we are constantly “on”, inundated with a cacophony of noise that drains and enervates. Marsala nourishes, soothes and relaxes. Rooted in earth-tone browns, yet enriched with wine-reds, Marsala slows the heartbeat so you can relax and unwind. The color is perfect to custom-upholster handcrafted furniture, the likes of C.R. Laine, Four Seasons and Highland House.
- It’s for him and her. Marsala is a universal color that appeals to both men and women. Its brown undertones are rooted in strength. Yet, its wine-red hues evoke romance. Accessorize your bedroom and living areas with decorative Marsala-colored throws and pillows from Bedford Cottage and Company C.
- It’s versatile. Use Marsala to paint your walls or to simply accent one. Carpet rooms from Dash & Albert and Jaipur, and accessorize with wall décor from Uttermost and Shadow Catchers. Or you can showcase Marsala’s plush characteristics by applying the color to a textured surface. Decorative accessories from Cyan Design, for example, can create the accent you want to give any room panache and flair.
- It harmonizes well with other colors. Although Marsala has its own strength, the color is soft enough to harmonize with other hues in your home. Because it’s a layered color, it blends with bronzes, browns, oranges and even true green. Choose lamps from Thumbprints and Barbara Cosgrove, and accessories from Currey & Co. to add touches of class and color to your living space.
- It works well in fabrics. Whether it’s raw silks, rustic tweeds or plush fabrics, Marsala lends itself well to textures. You can select custom fabrics with confidence from Duralee, Fabricut and Kravet. The color will hold up to any number of textures for sofas, settees, love seats and ottomans from high-end furniture companies, such as Norwalk Furniture and Wesley Hall. For a plush look in your bedroom, choose luxury bedding from Eastern Accents and classic linens from Traditions Linens.
Marsala’s impactful, full-bodied qualities make a statement about your home. So does your furniture. Be sure you choose quality furnishings in nontoxic materials. Accessorize with unique, handcrafted items that are made and manufactured in the United States. And always choose quality construction so your furniture will stand up to the demands of time and use.