As we emerge from a long, brutal winter, we long to spend more time outside enjoying warmer weather, sunshine, flowers and greenery. How to best create the perfect outdoor space for relaxing and entertaining? There are a few considerations to keep in mind. You’ll want a design that expresses your style, offers privacy, is comfortable and accommodates outdoor dining. These days, you have a plethora of options when it comes to patio furniture. Available in various types of materials and design, outdoor furniture choices range from classic wicker and redwood to contemporary teak and stainless steel.
Best Outdoor Furniture Options
- Teak Furniture: Perfect for poolside furniture and exterior furnishings, marine grade teak is water resistant and has the ability to attractively weather the rigors of an adverse climate. The durability of teak and the power to now move it in multipurpose positions makes it superb in style and flexibility, offering design choices that fit a variety of spaces and tastes. For long-lasting quality, look for manufacturers who use only premium quality teak and precise mortise and tenon joinery in the construction of their teak furniture.
- Redwood Patio Furniture: Redwood is naturally resistant to warping, shrinking, decay and insects. If left unfinished, redwood that is constantly in the sun eventually bleaches to gray.
- Cedar Garden Furniture: Western red cedar and northern white cedar are known for their durability and resistance to insects. Over time, it will weather to a silvery gray.
- Cast Aluminum: Highly detailed designs made from hand-carved wooden molds combined with superior molten aluminum create durable and stylish pieces that withstand the outdoor elements and that are light enough to be easily moved. Each casting is hand-polished to provide a smooth, finished surface for painting.
- Wrought Aluminum: Crafted by hand, these complex and detailed pieces are precisely bent and carefully painted to create end products you’ll be tempted to put inside your home rather than outside.
- Wrought Iron: Wrought-iron dining sets can stay outdoors year-round as long as the painted finish remains in good shape.
- Stainless Steel: With the proper maintenance, this furniture can withstand the test of time even in the outdoor environment.
- High Resin Wicker: Hand woven with a triple antique hand-applied finish, resin wicker is ideal for outdoor dining areas because the chairs are lightweight and easy to move. More versatile for outdoor use than natural wicker, it’s made from ultra-high UV resistant and moisture-proof resins with rustproof aluminum framing. Resin wicker can withstand the elements, while natural wicker cannot.
- Natural Wicker: Natural wicker should not be exposed to the elements, so use it only on sheltered patios and bring it indoors for the winter.
Creating an Outdoor Living Room
Patio furniture is available in so many styles that your choice ultimately depends on your budget, lifestyle and personal preferences. Once you have selected the outdoor furniture for your space, it’s time to create a living and entertaining area that is inviting, comfortable and relaxing. Arrange seating as you would in a family room to encourage gathering for good conversation and relaxation. Use comfortable cushions and pillows covered in outdoor fabric, and add fabric panels to an arbor to create your own personal cabana. Your outdoor room will feel more like an oasis if it also has a sense of enclosure. Fences and garden walls ensure privacy for patios, but you can also use lattice, pergolas, and landscaping to define outdoor spaces and screen views of neighboring houses.
Ready to create or enhance your outdoor living space? Find a source, like The Guest Room Furniture in Leesburg, where you can see samples and ask knowledgeable professionals about your options. When you purchase quality outdoor furniture, you will enjoy it for many years to come.